Former Kakamega governor Wycliffe Oparanya was arrested on Thursday, July 13, 2023, in connection with the chaotic protests that took place in the county on Wednesday.
Oparanya was taken into custody by police in Kakamega and is being held at the county police headquarters.
He is expected to be arraigned in court on Friday.
The protests were sparked by the death of a young man who was shot by police during a demonstration against the high cost of living.
The protests quickly turned violent, with protesters looting and burning businesses.
Former Kakamega Governor Wycliffe Oparanya Arrested
Oparanya has been accused of inciting the protests and of failing to provide security for the people of Kakamega. He has denied the allegations.
The arrest of Oparanya is a major development in the case of the chaotic protests. It remains to be seen whether he will be charged with any crimes.
Here are some additional details about the arrest:
- Oparanya was arrested at his home in Kakamega.
- He was arrested by a team of police officers led by the county police commander.
- He was taken to the county police headquarters, where he is being held in custody.
- He is expected to be arraigned in court on Friday.
Here are some reactions to the arrest:
- The ODM party, which Oparanya is a member of, has condemned the arrest. The party said that the arrest was politically motivated.
- The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights has called for Oparanya to be released on bail. The commission said that the arrest was a violation of Oparanya’s rights.
- The public has been divided on the arrest. Some people have supported the arrest, saying that Oparanya should be held accountable for the chaotic protests. Others have criticized the arrest, saying that it is politically motivated.
The arrest of Oparanya is a significant development in the case of the chaotic protests. It remains to be seen whether he will be charged with any crimes. However, the arrest has sparked a debate about the role of politicians in inciting violence.